Sunday 3 November 2013

The First Challenge I Faced- New York

Looking over to New York City from Brooklyn.


In March/April 2009 my parents wanted to take a trip to New York. For us, once in a lifetime opportunity! I had never been on a plane before and it was roughly going to be an 8 hour flight. Flying was my worst fear (key word, was!) 

The flight was horrendous, I didn't eat, I panicked the whole way. I was shaking for the whole time, completely on edge. But I made it, I made it to the Big Apple.

Times Square
New York was an experience, let's say that. Suffering from social anxiety this was not the ideal place for me, it was the busiest place I had ever been, people everywhere, everywhere. Needless to say the trip was a struggle for me, but I survived to tell the tale! I wouldn't hesitate to go back. For me, New York was the beginning, in all fairness it did bring my anxiety to a point that I had never experienced before. I was unable to do certain things- such as going up the Empire State Building, it was just too much for me to do, but if I ever had the opportunity to go back, I would be up there in a flash! But for the most part I was able to be involved in all the normal touristy activities. 

But the feeling of when the plane touched down in London, the sense of achievement was one of the greatest feelings I have ever experienced to this day.

The President was even pleased to see me


I didn't have any medication to go on this trip, I did it all myself, and to this day I see this as an achievement. When I got back, the trip did bring up mixed feelings and still day to day things were a challenge, but I'm in a better place now and I can look back at this with a positive attitude. One of the main things was the flying aspect! I have now been on a plane 3 times since!

No comments:

Post a Comment