Friday 25 October 2013

Triggers

Everybody who suffers from some sort of anxiety, has some sort of trigger especially if it's panic disorder. I have explained that in a previous post. Take a look :)

Panic disorder is where you may be in a situation and panic and then you will always link that situation to 'something bad.' Therefore, in future when these situations occur panic can be triggered and it's natural to want to shy away from these things but the most important thing, and the best way to beat it is to confront it and continue on with life as 'normal.'


  • When my anxiety was at it worst, I couldn't even queue in my local supermarket. I would stand there and all of a sudden, my body would boil up, my skin would be burning, I would be sweating and short of breath. This would then naturally make me panic even more. Everyday I would have to go and buy lunch, so I was facing this issue on a daily basis, and gradually it has gotten better. I still get it occasionally. But in my mind I needed to overcome the fact just because it happened once, doesn't mean it's going to happen again. For me, this was the most common event it would happen in any shop.
  • I would also get the attacks when driving, more so if I was driving alone. I would have to pull over and half the time my nerves would make me sick. This then made the doctor stop me from driving alone, so once I had finished the break, to work on myself. I started off driving short journeys, gradually building it up.
  • Generally, being alone in public, or in general public situations I would turn into a frenzy of panic and nerves. So I would avoid these situations, this would mean even going out with friends for drinks, but I'm gradually getting my life back in that respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment